If you are thinking of selling your home, there are things you can do to gain you more of a profit. The market is HOT and seller’s typically want top dollar, if your home is show ready
5 Things To Get Your Home Ready To List
Dated: March 4 2021
If you are thinking of selling your home, there are things you can do to gain you more of a profit. The market is HOT and seller’s typically want top dollar, if your home is show ready and in good condition you are likely to sell for a great price.
5 Things to Get Your Home Ready To List:
1. Declutter – A cluttered home makes it difficult for possible homeowners to picture their belongings there.
If you are busy and don’t have a lot of time, give yourself 15 minute increments to go through each room. You will be amazed at how much you can accomplish in 15 minutes.
Have 4 bins/boxes/bags available and use them for:
2. Donated items
3. Items that go in another room
4. Items to pack (things that you won’t need over the next 30-90 days.
It works best if you go through one room at a time. The room used the least to the most.
2. Deep Clean – If you are not hiring a professional cleaner, work from the top down.
1. Dust all services such as ceiling fans, windows, pictures, mirrors, dressers, tables.
2. If the weather permits clean inside and outside of windows
3. Clean bathrooms, showers/tubs, sinks, toilets, counters, cabinets, baseboards, flooring etc… If you have hard water use a cleaner that helps with lime and rust.
4. Clean kitchen by cleaning cabinets, remove appliances from counter tops, wipe down back splash, clean countertops, clean large appliances such as oven, microwave.
5. Have carpets and tile (if needed) professionally cleaned.
6. Don’t forget to wipe down doors inside (I find Mr. Clean Magic Erasers work best for doors and trim)
3. Touch up paint – If a complete paint job isn’t needed, it’s always a good idea to touch up where needed. If any of the rooms are in bold colors it would be best to have them painted in neutral colors.
4. Make Repairs – It is important to make repairs that you know are needed prior to listing.
The simplest things to fix can be: missing light switch or electrical outlet plates, burnt out lightbulbs, dirty air filters in HVAC systems.
Other common items are non-functioning appliances, broken light fixtures, plumbing leaks (such as dripping faucets or broken faucet handles).
Getting a pre-listing inspection is always a good option. They range between $350-$500 depending on age of you home and square footage. By doing an inspection anything that you are not willing to repair prior to listing will need to be disclosed on the seller’s disclosures. If there are large repairs that need to be made and the funds are not available at that moment, there is always the option of letting potential buyers know that the repair will be made prior to closing and it will be paid from the proceeds of the sale.
5. Landscaping – First impressions are everything. Putting down fresh mulch, planting some new flowers, cleaning off the front porch, a fresh coat of paint on the front door. These are some basic things that can be done. Be sure if it is in the lawn mowing season your lawn is cut on a regular basis. Keep any debris away from the front door like leaves, newspapers, spider webs, etc…
These are some of the main things that should be done prior to listing in order to gain the most profit from your investment. In some situations, it just isn’t possible to do some of these things. In that case, your home can still be put on the market, however we may need to adjust the price to offset the things that may need to be done.
For instance, I have some clients that will be listing there home soon. There are 2 adults and 3 kids living in a 1300 sq ft home where the dad works from home. The carpet needs replaced, and the house needs to be painted, however they don’t have the ability to move all of their belongings out with the kids and working from home. The sellers are open to pricing the house a little lower than they could have gotten based upon these needs. As the listing agent I advised the sellers to get flooring and painting quotes so we can price it accordingly.
My goal is to bring you an offer at or above asking price, in this market it is likely there will be multiple offers driving the value up when the home is in good condition and ready to list.
If you would like more information or have questions, please give me a call or text @ 417-773-6623 or email at email@example.com
My family and I have lived in Nixa since 2005. We love living here and are active in our community and local church. I started in real estate in 2006 as a way to meet new people and have a flexible ....